‘Nacho average snack. This non-dairy, nut free queso is a game changer. It gets it’s bright orange color from veggies and it’s cheesy flavor from nutritional yeast. You can keep it mild or spice things up with chili powder and jalapeno brine! We like to drizzle ours on blue corn chips topped with black beans, corn, pico de gallo and avocado. This queso is perfect for Football Sunday or Margarita Monday!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Difficulty Level: Easy
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Small White Onion, chopped
1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 cup Baby Carrots, chopped
2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
1 ¼ cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
½ cup Nutritional Yeast
½ tsp salt
¼ cup Jalapeno Brine (optional)
1 tsp Chili Powder (optional)
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped veggies. Saute until tender (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add all-purpose flour and stir to coat veggies.
- Immediately add almond milk, nutritional yeast, and salt. Stir until nutritional yeast has melted. Add jalapeno brine and chili powder if looking for a spicier cheese.
- Once nutritional yeast has melted, use an immersion blender to blend the veggies into the milk. This will create a creamy, orange sauce.
*Note: If you do not have an immersion blender, you can add the warmed milk mixture and veggies to a blender. Most blender tops have a plastic cap in the middle. This will need to be removed in order for heat to escape. To avoid making a cheesy mess, hold a towel over this hole while you blend on a low speed!*
- Cook over medium heat until sauce has thickened (about 10 minutes). *Note: the cheese will thicken more as it cools!*
- Serve warm and enjoy!