The weather has started to cool down here in North Carolina and I have been desperately wanting to make s’mores. However, we do not currently have a fire pit! I have been forced to improvise, but am so happy that I did! These cookies are the perfect treat for a cool night or a socially distanced patio dinner with friends. They are soft and buttery, but with all the campfire goodness! The trick to mastering these marshmallow-topped cookies is to broil them! Broiling allows your marshmallows to brown and lightly toasts the graham cracker cookie giving it that perfect s’mores flavor. I highly recommend adding a teaspoon or two of cinnamon to my cookies for a little extra warmth!
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 4 hrs 30 mins
2 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
6 tbsp Warm Water
1 cup Vegan Butter, room temperature
¾ cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
1 ½ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1-2 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
1 1/2 cup Vegan Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
6 Vegan Marshmallows, cut in half
¼ cup Vegan Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 tsp Coconut Oil
- In a small bowl, mix ground flax seed and water. Set aside for ~3-5 minutes to create a flax egg.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and granulated sugar to the mixing bowl. Beat until well combined.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla extract to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Next, add all the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Cover the mixing bowl and allow the cookie dough to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours. *This will prevent spreading, especially when using vegan butter which tends to have a lower melting point!*
- Once dough has been chilled, preheat the oven to 375℉ and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring spoon to scoop 12 balls of dough. Roll the dough into tight balls and place them evenly on the cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 15-17 minutes or until just golden brown. They will be slightly underdone at this point.
- Remove the cookie trays from the oven and place a half a marshmallow in the center of each cookie.
- Place the cookie sheets back in the oven and turn the oven on to broil for 2-3 minutes. This will “toast” your marshmallows!
- Remove the cookie trays from the oven and allow the cookies to rest on the pans for 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies are cool, melt the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips in a microwave safe cup or bowl with the coconut oil.
- Drizzle cookies with melted chocolate and sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs if desired!