To be honest, the only thing I “miss” being a vegan is shellfish. Growing up on the coast of Maine, we ate lots of seafood! The summer time was meant for grilled fish, fried fisherman’s platters, and crab cakes. These jackfruit “crab” cakes mimic the real thing pretty darn close, though. I’m convinced that my seafood loving father could be tricked into thinking these are the real thing (well, at least 90% convinced). These cakes are super soft and flaky! We topped ours with a spicy lemon aioli to enjoy with salad greens, but they would be perfect on a sandwich roll too! This makes a big batch of 12 crab cakes. I know- kind of a lot. If you’re worried about the batch size, don’t be afraid to freeze these crab cakes for easy dinners later! Once you give them a taste, you’ll be surprised by how quickly they go!
Prep Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook Time: 15-18 mins
3 20 oz. Cans of Jackfruit, drained
4 cups Vegetable Broth
2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
6 tbsp Warm Water
½ cup Veganaise
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
4 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp Lemon Juice
3 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 ⅓ cup Panko Crumbs
1 Medium Red Onion, diced
4-6 Celery Ribs, diced
1 Medium Red Pepper, diced
- Drain canned jackfruit.
- Add jackfruit and vegetable broth to a medium-sized sauce pan. Cook over low - medium heat for 1-2 hours or until jackfruit is soft and easy to pull apart.
- Once jackfruit is soft, drain off the vegetable broth (can be saved for something later!)
- In a large mixing bowl, use two forks to shred jackfruit until it has been pulled apart into small strips.
- In a small bowl, mix ground flaxseed with warm water to create a flax egg. Allow the flax egg to sit for 10 minutes.
- Add flax egg and the rest of the ingredients to the large mixing bowl with the jackfruit. Mix until well combined.
- Place the mixing bowl in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450℉ and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Measure out ~½ cup of the jackfruit mixture and mold in your hands to create the “crab” cakes. Arrange the cakes on the lined baking pan.
- Bake for ~15-18 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.