One of my favorite breakfasts has always been a toasted bagel with cream cheese. As I transitioned to a vegan diet, I worried that this might be a pleasure I would have to give up. I have tried store-bought vegan cream cheeses, but never found one I loved. Either the texture or the taste was off and I could never find my favorite “specialty” flavors. Not only that, but these cream cheeses were expensive!! I decided I had to make my own. I love this tofu cream cheese because it is so versatile and quick to make. By adding in fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs, you can create your favorite flavor combinations.
The recipe, as stated, creates a “whipped” style cream cheese. For a more traditional cream cheese, double the coconut oil!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 8 hrs
Cream Cheese Base:
14 oz. Extra Firm Tofu
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
2 ½ tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
1 tsp salt
- Garden Veggie: Red Bell Pepper, Broccoli, Carrot, Onion, and Garlic
- Onion and Chive
- Mixed Berry: Strawberry, Blueberry, and Raspberries
- Spicy Jalapeno
Or any of your other favorites!
- Press your tofu by placing it between two layers of paper towels. Place a heavy-weighted pan or cutting board over the top layer of paper towel. Allow the tofu to sit like this for ~15 minutes.
- Add tofu and all other ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Finely chop any fruits, vegetables, or herbs to create your flavor.
- Move cream cheese mixture into a large bowl and fold in your ingredients for flavor.
- Place cream cheese into the fridge and allow to sit overnight.
- Spread on a warm, toasted bagel and enjoy!