This hearty fall salad combines some of my favorite cool-weather flavors. The sweet potatoes are tossed in chili powder and cinnamon giving this salad a warm kick while the pear adds a cool, crisp crunch. It has so much flavor that it is paired best with a light balsamic or vinaigrette dressing.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
2 tbsp Olive Oil
½ tsp Chili Powder
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Onion Powder
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Salt
1 cup Quinoa, dry
1 ½ cups Water
8 cups Spring Mix or Your Favorite Salad Greens
1 Medium Pear, sliced thinly
¼ cup Unshelled Sunflower Seeds
¼ cup Pomegranate Seeds
Roast Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Chop sweet potatoes into ½ inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil and spices.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes to the spice mixture and toss to evenly coat each piece.
- Spread sweet potatoes over a large baking sheet.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until a fork can be easily inserted into the cube.
- Allow sweet potatoes to cool until they are just warm- otherwise they may wilt your salad greens!
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under cold water.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, toast quinoa to get rid of excess moisture.
- Add water to the saucepan and turn the heat up to high.
- Cover your saucepan and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Once water has come to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook quinoa for 10-12 mins.
- Let quinoa stand for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Allow quinoa to cool until it is just warm- otherwise it may wilt your salad greens!
- In a large bowl, mix salad greens, quinoa, and sweet potato. Top with pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, and sliced pear.